Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Monk and the Riddle: a MUST Read

I just finished reading the book 'The Monk and the Riddle : The Education of a Silicon Valley Entrepreneur' by Randy Komisar.

It is one of the best books I have read in the past few months. It is just 170 pages long, and it took me all of a day and a half to finish it. Rather, I could not stop reading it. The central theme of the book is simple: passion. The book marks a clear difference between passion and drive.

Passion pulls you towards something you cannot resist.

Drive pushes you toward something you feel compelled or obligated to do.

Looking back at my career, I realize drive often does win. Commitments made to others somehow seem more important than a commitment made to myself. This needs to change.

Another important point of the book is the Deferred life plan. Quite simply, today we often do what we must do, and postpone what we want to do for tomorrow.

For the rest, please read the book

No comments:

Post a Comment